The medieval fortress in Benkovac
In the 15th century the fort was built by the nobles Benkovic. It was surrounded by high walls and towers. In time, around the hill with the castle town developed that was named Benkovac. In the early 16th century the area is conquered by the Turks and the old fortress is converted in their castle. The Turks were there till 1647.g.
Recently, the County Museum is established in the fort.. It owns archaeological and ethnographic collection,the collection of stone monuments, natural history collection, cultural, historical and collection of the Homeland War.